from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of purple. (shades of the colour)
- n. swine fever or hog cholera
- n. ear cockle
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In medicine, petechiæ, or spots of livid red on the body, such as appear in certain diseases; purpura.
- A disease of wheat caused by a nematoid worm of the family Anguillulidæ, Tylenchus scandens or T. tritici. Also called ear-cockle.
- An early purple-flowered orchid, Orchis mascula, common in Europe and part of Asia.
Sorry, no etymologies found.