from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device that measures the intensity of radiant energy, consisting of a partially evacuated glass bulb containing lightweight vertical vanes, each blackened on one side, suspended radially about a central vertical axis to permit their revolution about the axis as a result of incident radiation.
- n. An instrument that detects electromagnetic radiation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device that measures radiant energy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A forestaff.
- n. An instrument designed for measuring the mechanical effect of radiant energy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old instrument for measuring angles; the cross-staff.
- n. An instrument which serves to transform radiant energy into mechanical work.
- n. An instrument for the detection and measurement of small amounts of radiant energy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meter to detect and measure radiant energy (electromagnetic or acoustic)
radio- + -meter (Wiktionary)