from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A series of notes blown on a horn as a signal in hunting.
- v. To blow the recheat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strain given on the horn to call back the hounds when they have lost track of the game.
- intransitive v. To blow the recheat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In hunting, a melody which the huntsman winds on the horn to call back the dogs from a wrong course, or to call them off at the close of the hunt; a recall on the horn.
- In hunting, to play the recheat; call back the hounds by the tones of the recheat on the horn.
Probably from Anglo-Norman; compare Old French racheter ("rally"). (Wiktionary)