from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See vitamin A.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fat-soluble carotenoid vitamin (vitamin A), present in fish oils and green vegetables, essential to normal vision and to bone development.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hydrocarbon oil C32H16, obtained by the distillation of resin, -- used as a solvent, as an antiseptic, and in printer's ink.
- n. One of the compounds which function as vitamin A. Called also vitamin A, vitamin A1 and vitamin A alcohol. See vitamin A1.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A liquid diterpene, C20H32, which is found in copaiba and is also formed by the distillation of rosin. It is occasionally used as a solvent in pharmacy, and as an ointment or liniment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unsaturated alcohol that occurs in marine fish-liver oils and is synthesized biologically from carotene
Sorry, no etymologies found.