from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To go back; recede.
- transitive v. To cede or give back (a territory, for example); return.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To grant back.
- v. To go back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cede or grant back.
- intransitive v. To go back.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To go back; recede; retire; give place. Blount, Glossographia.
- To cede or grant back; restore to the former possession or control: as, to retrocede territory.
Latin retrōcēdere : retrō-, retro- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)