from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of competing or emulating.
- n. The state or condition of being a rival.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The relationship between two or more rivals who regularly compete with each other. The term usually applies to two rivals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of rivaling, or the state of being a rival; a competition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of rivaling; competition; a strife or effort to obtain an object which another is pursuing: as, rivalry in love; an endeavor to equal or surpass another in some excellence; emulation: as, rivalry for superiority at the bar or in the senate.
- n. Synonyms Competition, etc. See emulation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of competing as for profit or a prize
Sorry, no etymologies found.