from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cooking device equipped with a rotating spit on which meat or other food is roasted.
- n. A shop or restaurant where meats are roasted to order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cooking device on which food is roasted on a rotating spit
- n. a shop or restaurant selling food cooked in this manner
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a restaurant that specializes in roasted and barbecued meats
- n. an oven or broiler equipped with a rotating spit on which meat cooks as it turns
French rôtisserie, from Old French rostisserie, from rostir, to roast, of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)