from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of collecting or gathering together scattered cattle by riding around them and driving them in.
- n. A rounding up, or upward curvature or convexity, as in the deck of a vessel.
- n. A gathering in of scattered persons or things.
- transitive v. to collect or gather together scattered animals, persons, or things.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rounding up; the forming of upward curves; curvature upward.
- n. In grazing regions, the herding or driving together of all the cattle on a range or ranch, for inspection, branding, sorting, etc.; also, the beating up or gathering of any animals, as those of the chase.
- n. A rounding off or finishing, as of an arrangement or undertaking; a bringing round to settlement or completion.
- n. In ship-building, the convexity of a deck; crown; camber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. seek out and bring together
- n. the activity of gathering livestock together so that they can be counted or branded or sold
- n. the systematic gathering up of suspects by the police
- n. a summary list; as in e.g.
Sorry, no etymologies found.