from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A character in fairy tales and folklore who makes children go to sleep by sprinkling sand in their eyes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A legendary figure who is said to bring good sleep and dreams by placing sand in the eyes.
- n. Used as a symbol of the passage of time to death.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mythical person who makes children sleepy, so that they rub their eyes as if there were sand in them.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fabulous person who is supposed to make children sleepy: probably so called in allusion to the rubbing of their eyes when sleepy, as if to rub out particles of sand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an elf in fairy stories who sprinkles sand in children's eyes to make them sleepy
sand + -man (Wiktionary)