from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various fish-eating eagles or similar birds, such as the bald eagle or the osprey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An eagle with a distinctive white tail; specifically, the white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla).
- n. A genus of eagles (genus Haliaeetus).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- Any one of several species of fish-eating eagles of the genus Haliæetus and allied genera, as the North Pacific sea eagle (H. pelagicus), which has white shoulders, head, rump, and tail; the European white-tailed eagle (H. albicilla); and the Indian white-tailed sea eagle, or fishing eagle (Polioaëtus ichthyaëtus). The bald eagle and the osprey are also sometimes classed as sea eagles.
- The eagle ray. See under Ray.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any eagle of the genus Haliaëtus, having the shank scaly.
- n. The white-tailed fishing-eagle of India, Palioaëtus ichthyaëtus.
- n. The osprey or fishinghawk, Pandion haliaëtus. See cut under osprey.
- n. The eagle-ray, Myliobatis aquila, a batoid fish. See cut under eagle-ray.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large harmless hawk found worldwide that feeds on fish and builds a bulky nest often occupied for years
- n. any of various large eagles that usually feed on fish
Sorry, no etymologies found.