from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fat, such as butter or lard, used to make cake or pastry light or flaky.
- n. A shortened form of something, as a word.
- n. The act of one that shortens.
- n. The act or process of becoming shorter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Solid fat, such as butter, lard or hydrogenated vegetable oil, used to make shortcrust pastry.
- n. Verbal noun form of shorten.
- v. Present participle of shorten.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
- n. That which renders pastry short or friable, as butter, lard, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cookery, lard, butter, or other substance used to make pastry short or flaky.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fat such as butter or lard used in baked goods
- n. act of decreasing in length
Sorry, no etymologies found.