from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A strap, usually one of a pair, supporting a garment from the shoulder.
- n. A strap worn across the shoulder to support an item, such as a bag.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a strap worn on or over the shoulder. Specifically (Mil. & Naval), a narrow strap worn on the shoulder of a commissioned officer, indicating, by a suitable device, the rank he holds in the service. See Illust. in App.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strap worn over the shoulder to support the dress or some article to be carried.
- n. A narrow strap of cloth edged with gold bullion, and in most cases ornamented with gold or silver bullion, worn on the shoulder by naval and military commissioned officers as a badge of rank.
- n. Same as & épaulière.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a band that goes over the shoulder and supports a garment or bag
Sorry, no etymologies found.