from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A shade of red; sinoper.
- n. Sinoper, a kind of red earth historically used as a pigment, originally imported to Greece from Sinope in Paphlagonia.
- n. Vert.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Ferruginous quartz, of a blood-red or brownish red color, sometimes with a tinge of yellow.
- n. The tincture vert; green.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ferruginous clay, sometimes used as a pigment. Also sinopite.
- n. A kind of ferruginous quartz found in Hungary.
- n. In heraldry, same as vert.
From Old French sinople, from Latin Sinōpis, from Ancient Greek Σινωπίς ("of Sinope"). (Wiktionary)