from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An emoticon, especially a smiling facial glyph [ :-) ] used to express delight or to indicate humor or irony.
- adj. Having a cheerful and happy disposition; smiling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Cheerful and happy; smiling.
- n. A simplified representation of a smiling face.
- n. A sequence of keyboard characters used to represent a person's mood or emotion, especially :) or :-) or other smiling depiction.
- n. Having one's throat slit from side to side.
- n. An improvised street weapon consisting of a length of chain with padlocks and other heavy objects affixed to one end.
Sorry, no etymologies found.