from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A worthless preparation fraudulently peddled as a cure for many ills.
- n. Speech or writing intended to deceive; humbug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional Chinese medicine used to treat joint pain.
- n. A type of 19th century patent medicine sold in the United States that claimed to contain snake fat, supposedly a Native American remedy for various ailments.
- n. A fraudulent, ineffective potion or nostrum; panacea.
- n. Any product with exaggerated marketing but questionable or unverifiable quality.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (medicine) any of various liquids sold as medicine (as by a travelling medicine show) but medically worthless
- n. communication (written or spoken) intended to deceive
Sorry, no etymologies found.