from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man, especially a soldier, armed with a spear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soldier who fights with a spear
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who is armed with a spear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who uses or is armed with a spear; especially, a soldier whose spear is his principal weapon. Compare lancer, lansquenet, pikeman.
- n. A book-name for any leaf-beetle of the genus Doryphora. The Colorado potato-beetle, Dutch decemlineata. is the ten-lined spearman. See cut under beetle.
Sorry, no etymologies found.