from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything added to something in order to stiffen it, such as a support beam, or starch for a collar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, stiffens anything, as a piece of stiff cloth in a cravat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which stiffens.
- n. In iron ship-building, one of a series of angle-bars, Z-bars, or other shapes, riveted to plating, particularly to the plating of bulkheads, to give them the necessary stiffness or rigidity. Stiffeners are called vertical stiffeners or horizontal stiffeners, according to the way they are arranged on the bulkhead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. material used for stiffening something
stiffen + -er (Wiktionary)