from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to regions at or near the foot of the Alps.
- adj. Of, relating to, inhabiting, or growing in mountainous regions just below the timberline.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. At the foot of the Alps
- adj. At or just below the tree-line
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Inhabiting the somewhat high slopes and summits of mountains, but considerably below the snow line.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Living or growing on mountains at an elevation next below the height called alpine.
- Lower Alpine: applied to that part or zone of the Alps which lies between the so-called “highland” zone and the “Alpine” zone proper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. growing at high altitudes
Sorry, no etymologies found.