from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cause to seem more appealing or pleasant: a sentimental treatment that sugercoats a harsh reality.
- transitive v. To coat with sugar: sugarcoat a pill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make superficially more attractive; to give a falsely pleasant appearance to.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. coat with something sweet, such as a hard sugar glaze
- v. cause to appear more pleasant or appealing
sugar + coat; from the practice of coating medicinal tablets or pills with sugar in order to disguise their unpleasant taste (Wiktionary)