from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, roofed structure in a park or garden affording shade and rest; a gazebo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A house owned not as a primary residence and used during warm weather months of the year.
- n. A house designed to be cool and used as a residence only during warm weather.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rustic house or apartment in a garden or park, to be used as a pleasure resort in summer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A structure in a park or garden, sometimes elaborate, but move often of the simplest character, generally little more than a roof supported on posts, and with the sides open or closed merely with a lattice for the support of vines, intended to provide a shady and cool place to sit in the open air, or for the enjoyment of a view, or the like. Compare kiosk and pavilion.
- n. A house for summer residence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a country house (usually located in the country) that provides a cool place to live in the summer
- n. a small roofed building affording shade and rest
Sorry, no etymologies found.