from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a class or subclass and above an order.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A taxonomic category below subclass and above order.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A group intermediate in importance between an order and a subclass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In natural history, a classificatory group next above the order but below the class. It may be a combination of orders, or a single order contrasting with such a combination; it is not well distinguished from subclass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) a taxonomic group ranking above an order and below a class or subclass
super- + order (Wiktionary)