from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Exercising surveillance.
- n. One that exercises surveillance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. overseeing; watchful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who watches over another; an overseer; a spy; a supervisor.
- adj. Overseeing; watchful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Keeping watch over another or others; overseeing; observant; watchful.
- n. One who keeps watch over another; a supervisor or overseer; also, a spy.
French, present participle of surveiller, to watch over : sur-, over (from Old French; see sur-) + veiller, to watch (from Old French veillier, from Latin vigilāre, from vigil, watchful; see weg- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)