from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chronic inflammation of the hair follicles, especially of the beard, characterized by eruption of pimples and nodules.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pustular eruption that affects the scalp or the bearded part of the face
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pustular eruption upon the scalp, or the beared part of the face, whether due to ringworm, acne, or impetigo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An eruption on the bearded face caused by an inflammation of the sebaceous follicles and hair-follicles.
- n. A fungous sore which resem-bles the pulp of a fig.
Latin sȳcōsis, sore resembling a fig, Greek sūkōsis, from sūkon, fig.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)