from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male hawk used in falconry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of tiercel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See tiercel. Called also tarsel, tassel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A male falcon; especially, the male of the peregrine falcon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. male hawk especially male peregrine or gyrfalcon
Middle English, from Old French terçuel, from Vulgar Latin *tertiōlus, diminutive of Latin tertius, third; see trei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French terçuel < Vulgar Latin *tertiolus < Latin tertius. (Wiktionary)