from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A screw designed so that it can be turned with the thumb and fingers.
- n. An instrument of torture formerly used to compress the thumb.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A screw that can be turned with the thumb and fingers
- n. An instrument of torture used to crush the fingers
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A screw having a flat-sided or knurled head, so that it may be turned by the thumb and forefinger.
- n. An old instrument of torture for compressing the thumb by a screw; a thumbkin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A screw having a broad head, or a plate projecting from the head, so that it may be turned easily by the finger and thumb.
- n. An instrument of torture by which one or both thumbs were compressed so as to inflict great agony without danger to life.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers
- n. instrument of torture that crushes the thumb
Sorry, no etymologies found.