from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deposit of urates in the skin and tissue around a joint or in the external ear, occurring in gout. Also called chalkstone.
- n. A concretion of mineral salts and organic matter deposited on the surface of the teeth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deposit of monosodium urate crystals in the body, caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the mineral concretions about the joints, and in other situations, occurring chiefly in gouty persons. They consist usually of urate of sodium; when occurring in the internal organs they are also composed of phosphate of calcium.
- n. Calcareous tufa.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Calc tufa.
- n. A concretion of calcareous matter which forms on the cartilaginous surface of the joints, and on the pinna of the ear, in gout; a gouty deposit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a deposit of urates around a joint or in the external ear; diagnostic of advanced or chronic gout
- n. an incrustation that forms on the teeth and gums
Latin tōphus, tufa.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, meaning "stone". (Wiktionary)