from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A steel plate used in medieval armor for protecting the thigh.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an armor plate for the thigh; tasset
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In plate armor, a suspended plate in from of the thigh. See Illust. of tasses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In armor, a plate of steel hanging below the tassets, or forming the lowermost division of the tassets.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. armor plate that protects the hip and thigh
Middle English toile, from Old French teuille, tuille, from Latin tēgula, tile; see (s)teg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English toile, from Old French teuille, tuille, from Latin tēgula. (Wiktionary)