from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of society that is engaged in and organized for the purpose of crime and vice.
- n. A region, realm, or dwelling place conceived to be below the surface of the earth.
- n. The opposite side of the earth; the antipodes.
- n. Greek & Roman Mythology The world of the dead, located below the world of the living; Hades.
- n. Archaic The world beneath the heavens; the earth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That part of society that is engaged in crime or vice.
- n. The world of the dead, located underneath the world of the living; the afterlife.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The lower of inferior world; the world which is under the heavens; the earth.
- n. The mythological place of departed souls; Hades.
- n. The portion of the world which is below the horizon; the opposite side of the world; the antipodes.
- n. The inferior part of mankind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The world below the skies; this lower world; the sublunary world.
- n. The opposite side of the globe; the antipodes.
- n. The world below this world; the infernal world; the place or state of departed souls; Hades.
- n. The lower, inferior, degraded part of mankind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (religion) the world of the dead
- n. the criminal class
Sorry, no etymologies found.