from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To change or make into glass or a glassy substance, especially through heat fusion.
- intransitive v. To become vitreous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to be made into glass, especially through heat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To convert into, or cause to resemble, glass or a glassy substance, by heat and fusion.
- transitive v. To become glass; to be converted into glass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To convert into glass by the action of heat. See glass.
- To become glass; be converted into glass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. undergo vitrification; become glassy or glass-like
- v. change into glass or a glass-like substance by applying heat
French vitrifier, from Medieval Latin vitrificāre : Latin vitrum, glass + Latin -ficāre, -fy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vitrum ‘glass’ + -fy. (Wiktionary)