from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who, or thing that whirls
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, whirls.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ceramics, a primitive horizontal wheel turned by one hand while the other hand of the potter fashions the clay; also a revolving wheel used by decorators in painting bands of slip, color, or gold on the ware; a decorating-wheel. See tournette.
- n. A revolving derrick used in loading iron ore on cars, or transferring it from cars to a vessel.
- n. An instrument designed to furnish a navigator with an artificial horizon when at sea. It is also known as Troughton's top, after its inventor, and spinner.
- n. One who or that which whirls.
- n. In rope-manuf., one of the revolving hooks to which the hemp is fastened in the operations of twisting it into rope-yarn or small rope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a revolving mechanism
- n. a dervish whose actions include ecstatic dancing and whirling
Sorry, no etymologies found.