from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A swordfish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of fishes comprising the common swordfish.
- n. The constellation Dorado.
- n. A comet shaped like a sword.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of Xiphiidæ, now restricted to swordfishes without teeth or ventral fins, and thus exclusive of the sailfishes and spear-fishes (Histiophorus and Tetrapturus).
- n. In astronomy:
- n. A constellation made by Petrus Theodori in the fifteenth century, in the south pole of the ecliptic, and now named Dorado.
- n. [lowercase] In older authors, a sword-shaped comet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Xiphiidae
From Latin xiphias. (Wiktionary)