from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sacred book of Christianity, a collection of ancient writings including the books of both the Old Testament and the New Testament.
- n. The Hebrew Scriptures, the sacred book of Judaism.
- n. A particular copy of a Bible: the old family Bible.
- n. A book or collection of writings constituting the sacred text of a religion.
- n. A book considered authoritative in its field: the bible of French cooking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The Christian holy book.
- proper n. The Jewish holy book that was largely incorporated into the Christian Bible.
- proper n. The analogous holy book of another religion.
- n. A specific version, edition, translation, or copy of one of the above-mentioned texts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A book.
- n. The Book by way of eminence, -- that is, the book which is made up of the writings accepted by Christians as of divine origin and authority, whether such writings be in the original language, or translated; the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments; -- sometimes in a restricted sense, the Old Testament. Also, the book which is made up of writings similarly accepted by the Jews.
- n. A book containing the sacred writings belonging to any religion.
- n. a book with an authoritative exposition of some topic, respected by many who are experts in the field.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Book, or rather the Books (see etym.), by way of eminence; the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
- n. Hence Any book or collection of religious writings received by its adherents as a divine revelation: as, the Koran is the Bible of the Mohammedans; the Mormon Bible.
- n. [lowercase] Any great book.
- n. [lowercase] A medieval military engine for throwing large stones.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sacred writings of the Christian religions
- n. a book regarded as authoritative in its field
Church shootings and candle lights vie beneath 'Bible black' skies yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Church shootings and candle lights vie beneath \'Bible black\' skies '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: The sky was Bible black and ringing with thunder last night above Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in West Knoxville.
Selections of Bible text from the International Children's Bible® are combined with delightful articles to help a budding warrior earn his armor.
The Oldest bible in existance is the Sinai Bible and in that Bible their is no Resurection and No Virgin Birth.
Their alpha-male, homophobic attitudes amount to, once again, MORE bible comedy…According to their Bible, male homosexuality and/or male masturbation were tantamount to abortion or murder, and punishable by death.
Studying the origin, development, history, and effect of the bible sic on Western civilization is a completely different enterprise from the Bible study class these groups are foisting off.
Completely absorbed in trying to prove that the Bible, accurately translated and interpreted, did not teach the inferiority or the subordination of women, she was writing a book which she called _The Woman's Bible_, chapters of which were already appearing in the _Woman's Tribune_.
To those who regarded every word of the Bible as inspired by God, _The Woman's Bible_ was heresy, and both the clergy and the press stirred up a storm of protest against it.
Suffragists were condemned for compiling a new Bible and were obliged to explain again and again that _The Woman's Bible_ expressed Mrs. Stanton's personal views and not those of the movement.
»HARRISONBURG COMMUNITY BIBLE STUDY is now enrolling for its non-denominational women's Bible study.
BiblicalMail. com, a pet project of founder and CEO of Luddite Creative LLC, Matthew Harp, was designed to help spread the Gospel to those whose, those who had not been prior-exposed to the bible or whose daily lives distracted them from Bible study.