from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The island of Great Britain during pre-Roman, Roman, and early Anglo-Saxon times before the reign of Alfred the Great (871-899). The name is derived from Brittania, which the Romans used for the portion of the island that they occupied.
- See United Kingdom.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. the island of Great Britain.
- proper n. The United Kingdom.
- proper n. singular (historically) Brittany.
- proper n. singular (historically) the British Empire.
- proper n. plural (historically, rarely) the British Empire
- proper n. (historically, rarely) a Briton
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
GORDON BROWN, PRIME MINISTER, GREAT BRITAIN: It is often said that America and Britain are fighting alone.
TONY BLAIR, PRIME MINISTER OF BRITAIN: It is the position of Britain, of America, of everybody, that, as the Iraqi force capability builds, so the necessity for our support there diminishes.
TONY BLAIR, BRITAIN PRIME MINISTER: In all likelihood, 200 or more, possibly many more, British people were killed, which makes it the worst terrorist incident for us in Britain since the war.
Of modern works the best summary for R.man Britain and for Caesar's invasions is T.R. Holmes, _Ancient Britain_ (1907), who cites numerous authorities.
BRITAIN: Britain extended a ban on all flights in its airspace until 0000 GMT on Monday.
BRITAIN: Britain extended a ban on most flights in its airspace to 0600 GMT Sunday.
BRITAIN is good for Europe but Europe is not good for Britain.
MILITARY UNIFORMS OF BRITAIN AND THE EMPIRE - Britain; Australia; Canada; American Colonial; India; New Zealand; Africa - 1742 to the Present Time by Major R. Money Barnes
producing dairy products, lamb, apples and onions in that country New Zealand and shipping them to Britain used less energy overall than producing them in Britain
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING ISSUED AS BRITAIN SET FOR MORE HEAVY SNOW SEVERE weather warnings have been issued across Britain today ahead of heavy snowfall tomorrow and Wednesday.