from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Scorpius and Virgo. Also called Balance, Scales.
- n. The seventh sign of the zodiac in astrology. Also called Balance, Scales.
- n. One who is born under this sign.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. : A constellation of the zodiac, supposedly shaped like a set of scales.
- proper n. : The astrological sign for the scales, ruled by Venus and covering September 24 - October 23 (tropical astrology) or October 16 - November 16 (sidereal astrology).
- n. Someone with a Libra star sign
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Balance; the seventh sign in the zodiac, which the sun enters at the autumnal equinox in September, marked thus ♎ in almanacs, etc.
- n. A southern constellation between Virgo and Scorpio.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] An ancient zodiacal constellation, representing an ordinary pair of scales.
- n. [capitalized] The seventh sign of the zodiac, represented by the character #214, which shows the scale-beam.
- n. An Italian or Spanish pound.
- n. All these statements are taken from the work of the Russian Commission, and differ in some cases from Italian official figures. The Castilian libra was 7,101 grains; that of Portugal was 7,083.3 grains.
- n. A money of account at Alicante in Spain; the peso, worth 10 reals.
- n. A new gold coin of Peru, struck under a decree of January 10, 1898, and of the same standard and weight as the pound sterling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Libra
- n. the seventh sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about September 23 to October 22
- n. a small faint zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Virgo and Scorpius
The last word, the very last word, in Libra is “history” which on page 321 he defines as “the sum total of all things they aren't telling us.”
In his offhand way, DeLillo teaches many important lessons in Libra, including certain etymologies, for instance the relationship in Arabic between the words assassin and hashish (on page 342).
Don DeLillo's reconstruction of Lee Harvey Oswald and the Kennedy assassination in Libra (1988) is one example.
Libra is yelling at April while Rennie is yelling at Jerry.
Interestingly enough, trump 11 Justice, which corresponds to the astrological sign Libra, is at the point of equilibrium (center of mass) of this arrangement.
You mean in the living room, when I called Libra a bitch?
Born on October 10, 1930, Pinter is a libra/horse – the measured commander, his Sun in Libra/Moon in Taurus – (same as Steve Reich, F. Scott Fitzgerald and M. Antonioni, charming, cultured, determined, good judgment, and patient.)
Reading Ray's letters calls to mind such ego-deformed drifters as Don DeLillo's Lee Harvey Oswald, in Libra, and Norman Mailer's Gary Gilmore, in The Executioner's Song.
The name Libra comes from the Roman word meaning "the balance '.
Gemini: The transition between earth and air occurs in Libra.