from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of south-central England on the Thames River west-northwest of London. First mentioned in 912, it was chartered in 1605. Oxford University, with its famed "dreaming spires,” was founded in the 12th century and still dominates the center of the city. Population: 143,000.
- A city of northern Mississippi south-southeast of Memphis, Tennessee. It is the seat of the University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss”), established in 1844, and was William Faulkner's home town. Population: 14,100.
- Oxford, 17th Earl of. Title of Edward de Vere. 1550-1604. English courtier and poet who is believed by some to have written Shakespeare's plays.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in England famous for its university.
- proper n. Oxford University
- n. A variety of shoe, typically made of heavy leather.
- n. An Oxford Dictionary.
OXFORD, OH FOX19 — An Oxford, Ohio man charged with OVI on Halloween was wearing an appropriate costume.
The account of the death in Oxford of Rachel Parker Wesley, an aged colored woman, in last week's _Oxford Press_, has been closely read.
Principal of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, to a ballad of forty-two verses, entitled _The Cow of Haslemere, or The Conjurer's Secretary at Oxford_.
Returning to Oxford the next year from a journey on the Continent, he began, in cooperation with R.H. Froude and others, the publication of the Tracts for the Times, a series of pamphlets which gave a name to the Tractarian or Oxford movement for the defence of the doctrine of apostolical succession and the integrity of the Prayer-Book.
Cf. _Apollinis et Musarum [Greek text] _, Oxford, 1592, reprinted in _Elizabethan Oxford_ (Oxford Historical Society), edited by Charles
Oxford (Parker's _Early History of Oxford_, ed. 1885, p. 229).
OXFORD, Ohio -- The family of a man who died after he was stunned with a Taser in 2008 filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Oxford police and the company that manufactures the weapons.
OXFORD - If Google wants to bring the Internet to everyone in a community, the city of Oxford would like to roll out the welcome mat for them.
OXFORD - Reaction to the NFL's six-game suspension of former Miami RedHawk Ben Roethlisberger on Wednesday, April 21, was mixed on the Oxford campus.
OXFORD - The quantity of Grateful Dead stickers on cars parked at campsites at the Oxford