from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or fact of being actual; reality. See Synonyms at existence.
- n. Actual conditions or facts. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of existing; existence
- n. the quality of being actual or factual; fact
- n. a short early motion picture
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being actual; reality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being actual, as opposed to potentiality; existence, as opposed to ideality.
- n. That in which anything is realized.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of actually existing objectively
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The latter, which in actuality is sex comradeship, I call conjugal affection or friendship.
How one feels about this issue, in actuality, is often directly related to how important one things free speech is and how compelling one thinks the interest in not being targeted with hate speech is.
Note: I use the term actuality in place of realism, since realism is also a literary movement, and I don't want to confuse terms.
I say, moreover, that, in this naked conception of things, divested of words, there will not be found any notion of what you call the actuality of absolute existence.
Hmmm … Here’s how to define the blog called “Buzzmachine”: a blog that tries to appear “liberal” but in actuality is operated by the right wing so as to manage liberal discourse and keep it within narrow parameters, never cutting too close to the bone.
There's a distinct possibility that when I was YOUNG I was, in actuality, also a MORON.
Holding to newer precedents (your stare decisis argument) is in actuality a compounding of past judicial activism.
People claim the show is pretty racy, but in actuality the humor is on the same level as your average PG-13 rated comedy.
Smooth direction and the presence of a young Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier make this a favorite with old movie lovers (where it gets a shocking 7.5 score on IMDB), but in actuality this was a small ordeal to get through.
The cost to bring an idea to actuality is not zero.