from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An image which persists or remains in negative after the original stimulation has ended.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The impression of a vivid sensation retained by the retina of the eye after the cause has been removed; also extended to impressions left of tones, smells, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An image perceived after withdrawing the eye from a brilliantly illuminated object.
- n. In psychology, any phase of sensation which persists after the withdrawal of the exciting stimulus: as, a visual afterimage; an auditory after-image; an afterimage of pressure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an image (usually a negative image) that persists after stimulation has ceased
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is simply good writing as much as anything to conjure one's quirks not in an event described with tedious plainness as if leisurely studied in the light of day, but in the fractured details revealed as by a thunderbolt for only a moment, resolving into a whole in the imaginative after-image.
You spent two hours today googling "diaper rash" and now every time you close your eyes, you have an after-image of large red welts all over an inflamed scrotum.
Right now he's looking at his own after-image, of what SCDP is left with.
The painting he tries to sell is called Number 4 (because we're in season 4?), and it's what he describes as an after-image, "the whole thing is about what she sees when she closes her eyes," he asks, "what's more real?"
He goes home and stares at Midge's painting, the after-image, what she sees when she closes her eyes, presumably thinking about her toxic addiction and how SCDP has its own toxic addiction.
Who's that woman delivering the cool torch number "That's Him Over There" (by Lew Spence and Marilyn Keith, who was to become Marilyn Bergman) and then acting the pause between lovelorn lyrics so memorably she leaves a heart-breaking after-image.
As the eye moves across the range, attracted by this supple furling and unfurling, each disc sends up its own bright after-image.
Which is why what I'm enjoying most about Fallout 3 is the permanent after-image of innocence.
Just then this gorgeous Magenta sidles up to them and says: You Hues are looking a little toned down this evening, mind if I stimulate your retina and see what kind of after-image arises?
The fighting itself, however, has left an after-image behind, now in the process of reconstruction by archeologists.