from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Growing, living, or burrowing in sand: arenicolous worms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. living or burrowing in sand
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. growing or living or burrowing in sand.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology, inhabiting sand, as certain worms. See Arenicola.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. growing or living or burrowing in sand
Uma are arenicolous sand dune specialists, and have a ton of modifications to help them get around on the dunes.
Agamines are a really interesting group in terms of adaptation: we have scansorial, arenicolous and saxicolous species, the evolution of viviparity, and morphological transitions such as external ear loss.
In the case before us it is sufficient to refer to the Gelasimus of the mangrove swamps, which shares the same conditions of life with various Grapsoidae and yet does not agree with them, but with the arenicolous Ocypoda.