from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Of or relating to a polymer lacking structural regularity.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Disconnected; without arrangement or order: in grammar, opposed to syntactic: as, an atactic sentence.
- Same as
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective medicine Of or pertaining to
- adjective chemistry Describing any
regular polymeror other macromoleculein which the orientation of the subunitsis random
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective lacking motor coordination; marked or caused by ataxia
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
Prof. Natta extended the research conducted by Ziegler on organometallic catalysts to the stereospecific polymerization, thus discovering new classes of polymers with a sterically ordered structure, viz. isotactic, syndiotactic and di-isotactic polymers and linear non branched olefinic polymers and copolymers with an atactic (or sterically nonordered) structure.