from The American HeritageĀ® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A valve regulated by the position of a free-floating ball that moves in response to fluid or mechanical pressure.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a contrivance by which a ball, placed in a circular cup with a hole in its bottom, operates as a valve.
  • n.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A valve formed by a globe resting upon a concave circular seat.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. any valve that checks flow by the seating of a ball


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.