from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yeoman of the British monarch's royal guard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An African bird of the genus Buphaga, which feeds on the larvae of botflies hatched under the skin of oxen, antelopes, etc.
- n. One who eats beef; a large, fleshy person; a well-fed servant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who eats beef; hence, a large, fleshy person.
- n. One of the yeomen of the guard, in England.
- n. An African bird of the genus Buphaga, which feeds on the larvæ of botflies hatched under the skin of oxen, antelopes, etc. Two species are known.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who eats beef; hence, a well-fed fellow; a stout fleshy man.
- n. One of the yeomen of the English royal guard, who, since the accession of Henry VII. in 1485, have attended the sovereign at state banquets and on other ceremonial occasions. The name is also given to the warders of the Tower of London, who wear a similar uniform.
- n. An African insessorial bird, of the genus Buphaga, which feeds on the larvæ that infest the hides of oxen.
- n. Same as bluebottle, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. officer in the (ceremonial) bodyguard of the British monarch
GORANI: Tourists at the Tower of London may notice an usual beefeater, which is the term used for the guards there.
ALPHONSO VAN MARSH, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): For more than 500 years, the Tower of London's iconic Yeoman Warder, better known as the beefeater, has been an elite guard unit of men.
The book tells of a beefeater and his wife who live in the Tower of London, their marriage in shreds following the death of their only child.
Report this comment ndm - is there an entry for epicbollocks? beefeater - since when was "english" a person or an entity that acted of its own volition?
The Tower of London has apologised and paid compensation to a beefeater who was sacked for alleged harassment of the first female yeoman warder in the tower's 1,000-year history.
Historic Royal Palaces apologises to Mark Sanders-Crook who was dismissed for alleged bullying of first female beefeater
A man the size of a beefeater had roughed her up and taken money from her.
I would bet BO will not send 30,000 + troops to Afghanistan, but will withdraw and follow a policy of remote drone attacks and special forces ops. wait for the weeping women, dead children, and an emboldened Islamic fundamentalist approach to foreign policy. beefeater
The Scottish criminal justice system is not devolved, it is independent and Westminster Government ministers, after devolution and before devolution, have no part in the process. beefeater
Cameron's beefeater responsibilities include showing them around the tower.