from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A migratory bird.
- n. A person who moves from place to place frequently.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A migratory bird, especially a passage migrant.
- n. Someone passing through; an itinerant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a migratory bird.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any bird that migrates seasonally
- n. someone who leads a wandering unsettled life
(Heb. chasidah), a large bird of passage of the heron family.
The pewit, or black cap flycatcher, of Catesby, is the first bird of passage which appears in the spring in Pennsylvania, which is generally about the first, or
Travels Through North & South Carolina, Georgia, East & West Florida, the Cherokee Country, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges, or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws; Containing An Account of the Soil and Natural Productions of Those Regions, Together with Observations on the Manners of the Indians.