from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fish having a bony rather than cartilaginous skeleton; a teleost.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish of the taxonomic group Osteichthyes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the menhaden.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local (Connecticut) name of the menhaden, Brevoortia tyrannus.
- n. A common name of the ten-pounder, Elops saurus, of the family Elopidæ, an abundant and widely distributed fish in tropical seas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any fish of the class Osteichthyes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
They caught eight gudgeon, small bony fish that were good only for soup, but Jenny caught a perch and Rossetti an enormous pike.
Jenour-Redmond scrunched himself into a corner, his head tilted, his lips open as he gasped like the bony fish he so resembled.
If we push our distant cousins the sharks to one side, we mammals belong to a natural group that includes all modern bony fish bony as opposed to cartilaginous sharks.