from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In heraldry, the chape or crampet of a scabbard used as a bearing. Also bauteroll.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word boterol.


  • I fairly gloried in calling attention to the recent meaning of "crunk," which I had looked up in my just-acquired Shorter Oxford (what satisfaction, despite--remind me to tell you about boterol--being the active possessor of the 1933 OED volumes and the OED 2nd Edition on disk--to afford and land this lovely lexical lacuna--so I'm showing off my prize to a class (I have around ninety students)and pointing out that the noun form of crunk is labeled E21, whereas the original, adjectival is followed by L20, my question of the number of years in which the new usage could have emerged being met with silence, 100 years? etc., and finally, such relief, "eight")

    Enciclopedia dantesca, gen. ed. Umberto Bosco, 6 vols (Treccani, 1970-1976)


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.