from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A smooth, level wooden lane used in bowling.
- noun A building or room containing lanes for bowling.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A covered place for the game of bowls, provided with a passage or alley of smooth planking on which to roll the balls. See
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A building which contains lanes for
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a lane down which a bowling ball is rolled toward pins
- noun a building that contains several alleys for bowling
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word bowling alley.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
treeseed commented on the word bowling alley
In the U.S., an establishment where individuals and teams go to play the sport of ten-pin bowling. Usually has a bar and snack-bar as well as pool tables and pin ball machines.
February 4, 2008