from The Century Dictionary.
- noun In herpetology, a genus of lizards. Fitzinger, 1826.
- noun In conchology, a genus of gastropods.
- noun In entomology: A genus of beetles. Schönherr, 1826.
- noun A genus of dipterous insects, of the family Dolichopodidœ. Meigen, 1824.
- noun In ornithology: A genus of swifts. Meyer, 1815. See Apus, Micropus, and Cypselus.
- noun A genus of thrushes and other birds, of the subfamily Brachypodinæ. Swainson, 1824.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word brachypus.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.