from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A minor league.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A professional sports association at the lower levels of minor league organization.
- n. A low-ranking or inferior level among groups, professions, organizations, etc.
- adj. Having inferior quality.
- adj. Amateurish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a league of teams that do not belong to a major league (especially baseball)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I enjoy a good hockey game, the competition between two teams, and outstanding players, however, I stopped watching the NHL with all the bush league, drop your sticks and gloves and slug it out like a bunch of goons.
To call that move bush league is an insult to bush leagues everywhere.