from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A mold or vat in which cheese is formed.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun The wooden mold in which cheese is pressed.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A mould in which curds are placed before being pressed to remove the whey; subsequently the chessel is removed to allow the cheese to mature


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word chessel.


  • (store-room, as in Devonshire) to milk-house, and from milk-house to chessel, surmounted by the glory of his red hair, which a farm-servant declared he had once mistaken for a fun-buss (whin-bush) on fire.

    Robert Falconer George MacDonald 1864


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.