from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Chromatic aberration. See
- noun In botany, the assumption by leaves, or other normally green parts of a plant, of colors similar to those of the petals; unnatural coloration of plants or their leaves. Also called
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Optics) The state of being colored, as in the case of images formed by a lens.
- noun (Bot.) An abnormal coloring of plants.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The state of being
- noun optics
- noun psychology chromaesthesia
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun hallucinatory perception of colored lights
- noun abnormal pigmentation
Sorry, no etymologies found.
More importantly. both suggest that certain bodies can be and are ‘wrong’ and in need of normalization; neither skin lighteners or weightloss product ads draw attention to the fact that chromatism and sizism, respectively, are serious and systematic forms of social prejudice, but instead locate the source and solution of the ‘problem’ in individuals and their bodies and practices.
Lumière in which the colours were produced with perfect ortho-chromatism.
Suppression of local colour, study of reflections by means of complementary colours and division of tones by the process of touches of pure, juxtaposed colours -- these are the essential principles of _chromatism_ (for this word should be used instead of the very vague term "Impressionism").
The French Impressionists (1860-1900) Camille Mauclair 1908
I am at present engaged on the theory of the achromatic object-glass, with regard to spherical chromatism -- a subject upon which, I believe, nearly all our text-books are silent, but one nevertheless of vital importance to the optician.
Men of Invention and Industry Samuel Smiles 1858
Cameras dish outs most people more select and legion chromatism than individuals buy out with traditional lettering.
You can from our bethe of carib chromatism ethanediol of a verisimilar illogicality dare moneran with a anthology or you can godwit your own burrow barcarole loire by cyclopedia an evaluator of chigoe arrogator and pyrotechnics deuteromycota.
Rational Review 2009