from The Century Dictionary.
- Adapted to cleanse and purify; designed for or devoted to purifying.
- noun The act of making clean; cleaning; purification.
- noun That which is removed in cleaning; dirt or refuse removed; specifically, the placenta or afterbirth: usually applied to animals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective One that
- noun The process of removing dirt, toxins etc.
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of making something clean
- adjective acting like an antiseptic
- adjective cleansing the body by washing; especially ritual washing of e.g. hands
Sorry, no etymologies found.
There's cleansing; yes, blessed fact! there's _cleansing_ from this horrid impurity whose stain you are so conscious of.
But almost immediately, some local priests announced that tomorrow they're going to be holding what they call a cleansing ceremony to take out any bad spirits, they say, that may have come in during the Bush visit.
On Wednesday, video posted on a social media website by the Syrian army shows military troops celebrating what they call the 'cleansing' of Latakia.
"To refer to 'cleansing' is deeply offensive to people who have witnessed cleansing in other parts of the world," he fumed.
Nick 'O'Teen' Clegg turns nasty Simon Hoggart 2010
This theory became one of the major tenets of his preaching, and was especially efficacious in cleansing the consciences of the back-sliders from all other faiths who else, in the secrecy of their subconscious selves, were being crushed by the weight of the
This means that ritual cleansing is required before one is able to perform prayers.
Dogs: Iran's new symbol of rebellion Masoud Golsorkhi 2010
After all, ethnic cleansing is now totally OK with the US.
The notion that we had even a backhanded role in ethnic cleansing is not something to be proud of.
Wright also said that "ethnic cleansing is going on in Gaza, and ethnic cleansing by the Zionist is a sin and a crime against humanity."
And the anonymous, faceless robots of this block are bent on one objective above all: the cleansing from the German-speaking lands of “the low, materialistic Jews.”